In this post, we will discuss the Strategy, Study plan and best books for Central Armed Police Forces ( CAPF ) Examination conducted by the UPSC for recruitment of officers – Assistant Commandants.
Assistant Commandant is a Group A Gazetted Officer rank. Assistant commandant serve as officers in the central armed police forces viz CRPF, BSF, ITBP, SSB, CISF. Each Force has a well defined task to carry on.
Roles and functions of Central Armed Police Forces – CRPF, BSF, CISF, SSB, ITBP
- CISF – Central Industrial Security Force provides security to PSUs and other vital infrastructure installations like atomic power plants, space installations, mints, oil fields and refineries, major ports, heavy engineering, steel plants, barrages, fertiliser units, airports and hydroelectric/thermal power plants owned and controlled by Central PSUs etc.
- CRPF – Central Reserve Police Force is the largest CAPF . It’s main role is to look after the Internal Security. Additional role varies from providing VIP security to election duties to countering Naxals. These personnel are even sent abroad as part of UN peacekeeping forces.
- SSB – Sashastra Seema Bal is tasked to prevent smuggling, drug and human trafficking and other trans -border crimes.
- BSF – Border Security Force is responsible for guarding India’s International border during peace-time and prevent trans-border crimes.
- ITBP – Indo Tibet Border Police as the name suggests is deployed along the Tibet Autonomous region of China from Karakoram Pass in Ladakh to Diphu La in Arunachal Pradesh to prevent border violations, check illegal immigration and trans-border smuggling.
Central Armed Police Forces Assistant Commandant Exam Pattern
There will be 2 Papers.
- Paper 1 – General Ability and Intelligence.
It contains questions from Indian History, Polity, Economics, Geography, Science, Maths and Reasoning, Environment & bio-diversity and Current affairs. Total Questions = 125. Each Question Carries 2 marks [ Total Marks = 250 ]
Negative Marking = 1/3
- Paper 2 – Essay, Precis Writing and Comprehension.Total marks = 200
In 2013 candidates had to write 4 out of 6 given essays in about 300 Words each. Other Questions included Reading Comprehension, Precis Writing, report Writing, Developing Counter Arguments and Grammar. There is no Negative Marking in Paper 2.
After you Qualify the written exams you will be called for Physical and medical tests, qualifying which you will get an Interview call to be conducted by the UPSC. Interview carries 150 Marks. Finally, a merit list is prepared and accordingly you will be allotted a seat in one of the forces based on your marks and preference.
Total Marks in CAPF = 250+200+150=600
Cut Off Marks for CAPF Assistant Commandant Examination :
Study Plan, Study Material and books for CAPF Exam Preparation :
Download links for books are given at the end of this post.
- History/Culture – Theory for this part has to be done with TN Board books ( downloaded link at bottom ) followed by Solving TMH GS Manual MCQs.
- Medieval History – TN Board books + TMH GS Manual MCQs. Don’t spend much time on cramming Dates and facts here.
- Modern History – TN Board + TMH GS Manual MCQs or you can skip TN Board books and rather refer to Brief History of Modern India by Spectrum Publications.
- Culture – Focus on Important books and their authors. To be done from NIOS book. Download link included at bottom.
Note : World history is not in the Syllabus.
Science : In this section your focus should be on concepts, principles and their applications in daily life rather than Trivial facts. This must be done with NCERTS ( download link at bottom ) followed by TMH GS Manual MCQs.
Geography + Environment & biodiversity : Focus on latitudes, longitudes question, Rivers and drainage, climate, Industry and agriculture. For basics refer to NCERT ( download link at bottom ) + TMH GS Manual MCQs.
Environment & biodiversity has found great importance in the last couple of years, don’t leave this topic. Do the basics with NIOS book ( download link at bottom ) + TMH GS Manual MCQs.
Current Affairs : For Current affairs , Read Newspapers – The Hindu/ Indian Express religiously , specially the editorials, Op-eds, World, Business and Sports news. As far as the book is concerned, this book is the best for Current affairs preparation as it covers Complete News of year 2013 + 1000 MCQs[ Must have ]
- Quant – NCERT ( for concepts – download link at bottom ) + RS aggarwal ( or any other Quant book – for practice ). After analysing past few years papers we have come to know that no questions were asked from these topics – Trigonometry, Geometry [ Except Areas, Volumes & perimeters ], Coordinate Geometry, Quadratic Equations, Logarithms – So you may ignore these.
- Data Interpretation – Not much preparation required, Just brush up your basics on ratio, proportion , Percentage , profit & loss and practice previous year questions.
- Reasoning – Practice questions from RS Aggarwal book or any other reasoning book that you have. Do see previous year questions.
Essay, Report & Counter Arguments:
Your Newspaper reading habit will come handy. Special Focus must be given to Letters to editor Section , this will help you greatly in Developing Counter Arguments Question. It will broaden your perspective & Improve your analytical abilities. For Essay one can refer to this book – 151 Essays
For Essay Writing Strategy tips and tricks Visit – How to Write an Essay in UPSC CAPF Assistant Commandant Exam ?
Previous year papers : Last 5 years Question papers of CAPF Exam from 2009 to 2013 is included at bottom. Do have a look at them to know the difficulty level of this exam. You may even consider getting this book for complete solution of CAPF assistant Commandant Previous year questions.
This is additional. As you will be responsible for Internal Security of the Country as an Assistant Commandant , we recommend you to go through this book. It will provide a lot of food for thought for your Essay and Interview.
Note : Revision is very important. Prepare your notes keeping this in mind. Practice and Revise.
1. Download CAPF Assistant Commandant Exam Last 5 year Papers – CAPF(AC) Exam – Past 5 year Papers from 2009 to 2013 – Previous Year papers
2. Ancient History TN Board – Download Ancient History book in PDF
3. Medieval and Modern History TN Board – Download Medieval & Modern History book in PDF
4. Indian Culture NIOS Study Material – Download Indian Culture book in PDF
5. Physics NCERT – Download NCERT Physics in PDF
6. Chemistry NCERT – Download NCERT Chemistry in PDF
7. Biology NCERT – Download NCERT Biology in PDF
8. Geography NCERT – Download NCERT Geography in PDF
9. Environment & Biodiversity NIOS Study Material – Download Environment & biodiversity book in PDF
10. Economy NCERT – Download NCERT Economy in PDF
11. Economy NIOS Study Material – Download Economy NIOS Economy book in PDF
12. Mathematics NCERT – Download NCERT Mathematics in PDF
Comprehensive List of Books for Preparation :http://www.gomilitary.in/capf-assistant-commandant-study-plan-cut-offs-study-material-books/https://i2.wp.com/www.gomilitary.in/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/CAPF-Assistant-Commandant-2014-Recruitment-Advertisement-eligibility-vacancies-how-to-apply-syllabus-1.jpg?fit=563%2C374https://i2.wp.com/www.gomilitary.in/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/CAPF-Assistant-Commandant-2014-Recruitment-Advertisement-eligibility-vacancies-how-to-apply-syllabus-1.jpg?resize=150%2C150Defence Exam Study Materialbest books for capf assistant commandant preparation,bsf,capf,capf books,capf previous papers,capf study material download,central armed police forces,cisf,crpf,itbp